Uterine Fibroids are common and can affect fertility in many ways. The good news is that there are natural remedies to shrink fibroids, ways to stop fibroids growth and prevent it from causing infertility problems.
- 1 What is Uterine Fibroid?
- 2 Symptoms of uterine fibroid
- 3 Types of Uterine Fibroids
- 4 How fibroids can cause infertility in women
- 5 Causes of uterine fibroids
- 6 Natural remedies for fibroids.
- 7 Summary
What is Uterine Fibroid?
Fibroids are noncancerous (benign) growth or tumors made of muscle cells and connective tissues growing on the walls, within the walls or inside the uterine cavity (womb) They develop from the normal muscle cells of the womb and starts growing abnormally.
Fibroids tumors vary in size ranging from small seedlings that cannot be seen by the naked eyes to large growths capable of enlarging the uterus. Should the fibroids get very large, they can cause the abdomen (stomach area) to enlarge, making a woman look pregnant. Depending on their size and locations, fibroids may exert pressure on the bladder and other pelvic organs which may lead to bleeding and pains.
Uterine fibroids which are also called myomas or leiomyomas often appear during the child bearing years of a woman. As many as 4 out of every 5 women have uterine fibroids sometime during their lives, but 75% of these women are unaware they have fibroids because they often cause no symptoms. Fibroids cause symptoms in 1 out of every 4 women.
Women who do have symptoms often find fibroids hard to live with. Some have pain and heavy menstrual bleeding.
Symptoms of uterine fibroid
As said earlier, most women don’t have symptoms. But in women with symptoms, The symptom depends on the location, size and the number of the fibroids. Here are some of the most common symptoms of uterine fibroids.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Prolonged length of menstruation (7 days or more)
- Pelvic pressure of pain
- Pressure on the bladder with frequent or even obstructed urination
- Lower back pains or pains in the leg
- Pressure on the rectum with painful or difficult defecation
- Swelling and enlargement of the abdomen
- Infertility or recurrent miscarriage/pregnancy loss
- Pregnancy complications
Types of Uterine Fibroids
- Submucosal Fibroids: These are fibroids that grow into the inner layer of the uterus. They are more likely to cause prolonged, heavy menstrual bleeding and sometimes cause infertility and miscarriage problem in women.
- Subserosal Fibroids: These are fibroids that project to the outside of the uterus. They can exert pressure on bladder, causing frequent or obstructed urination. If fibroids projects out from the back of the uterus, they can press on the rectum, causing a painful difficult defecation, OR press on the spinal nerves, causing backache.
- Penduculated Fibroids: These are fibroids that connect itself by a stalk to the inside or outside of the uterus. They can trigger severe pain by twisting on its stalk and cutting off its blood supply
- Intramural Fibroids: These are fibroids that grow within or inside uterine wall. If large enough, they can distort the shape of the uterus and cause prolonged, heavy periods, as well as pain and pressure. They are the most common type of fibroids.
- Cervical Fibroids: These are fibroids that grows within the cervical tissue.
How fibroids can cause infertility in women
A study titled fibroid and infertility: an updated systematic review of the evidence summarized that Fibroids in general, regardless of location, were associated with a 15% reduction in pregnancy rates, a 30% reduction in live birth rates, and a 67% increase in miscarriage rates.
Large subserosal fibroids may compress the fallopian tubes and cause blockage . These may prevent the free movement of eggs and sperm. Cervical fibroids and intramural fibroids around the cervix may prevent the sperm from entering the uterus.
Both Intramural and Submucosal fibroids may increase the size of the uterine cavity causing the sperm to swim longer distance. They can also interfere with the contraction ability of the uterus. They can also distort the uterine cavity hence hindering implantation. These same fibroids may affect blood supply or flow to the endometrium.
Fibroids during pregnancy
Fibroids occurs in 2% to 12% of pregnant women. Not all fibroids will increase in size and complicate a pregnancy. However, some fibroids can enlarge and cause complications. some of which include:
- Change in shape of the uterine cavity thereby causing miscarriages.
- Pregnant women with fibroids may experience premature labor depending on the size and location of the fibroids.
- Multiple fibroids at the lower part of the uterus may block the vagina thereby enforcing Cesarean section
- Large fibroids in the womb may affect the foetus by causing shortage of space, impede its growth and affect blood supply. This may lead to miscarriages or congenital deformation.
- As a result of the increased estrogen level during pregnancy, fibroids may grow large and displace the placenta
- Also, fibroids can change the baby’s presentation (position at birth)
Causes of uterine fibroids
The actual cause of uterine fibroid or the reason why fibroids develops is unknown. However, Researches and experiences points out that these factors may affect fibroid’s growth.
- Hormonal Factor: The levels of estrogen and progesterone (female hormones) contributes to the growth of the fibroids.
- Genetic Factor: Evidences have proved that fibroid tends to run in the same families. Ethnicity also appears to play a role. That’s why fibroid is more common in black women
- Other Growth factors: Alteration in growth factor (proteins formed in the body that direct the rate and extent of cell proliferation) and other growth hormones have been linked to fibroid growth.
Furthermore, Estrogen and Progesterone are female hormones that balance each other. That means one opposes the other. The balance between these two hormones is important so as to maintain an optimum female health.
Fibroids are very sensitive to estrogen, as a result, they grow during the child bearing years, enlarge during pregnancy and tend to shrink or disappear after menopause when there is decrease in the hormone production. Therefore, Fibroid will continue to grow when there is estrogen dominance or high production of estrogen without the balancing effects of progesterone.
Factors that contributes to fibroid growth
As i’ve pointed out, one major factor that develops fibroid is when the level of estrogen is higher than that of progesterone Here are some points that cause increase in estrogen levels within the body.
- Some women in their mid thirties (35 and above) begin to experience non-ovulating menstrual cycles. Without ovulation, progesterone is not secreted. Therefore the body will be dominated by estrogen
- Even if ovulation occurs normally, When a woman starts getting close to menopause (like 10 years before menopause) (between 35 and 50), there will be general reduction in hormone production in the body. But the reduction in progesterone hormone is far greater than the reduction of estrogen. Hence there will be estrogen dominance.
- Also, our body is exposed to environmental estrogens which are found in our foods and household materials. Petrochemical substances found in our general products (such as our creams, sprays, shampoos, deodorants, lotions, soaps etc.) often have chemical structures similar to estrogen. Commercially grown vegetables often contain remains or residues of pesticides and herbicides which has estrogenic properties. Also, commercially raised poultry or cattle are being fed with various types of hormones
- Stress also leads to adrenal exhaustion and low production of progesterone.
- Obesity: Fat cells increases the production and stores estrogen within the body
Since we live in an estrogen dominant world, and this estrogen dominance is a strong factor that enhances fibroid growth. What then is the way out?
Natural remedies for fibroids.
It’s very important women should know that there’s no very fast remedy, especially with large fibroids. The process of healing is gradual, since the body will not let all these toxins out of the body overnight. They’ve been encapsulated because your body’s protecting you from them, so you have to gradually release them. In order to get rid of fibroids finally, you have to follow these steps judiciously. As much as possible, i’ve made them simple and practicable.
Step 1: Detoxify and Fortify the liver
This is the first step of the natural remedy to shrink fibroids. Liver is the body’s largest gland. One of its major function is to detoxify the entire body. If the liver is not working properly, the body will be filled with toxins and excess hormones Estrogen is metabolized in the liver.
Estrogen that is not metabolized by the liver will continue to circulate and exert its effect on the body. Herbs that detoxifies and strengthens the liver will help speed up the removal of excess estrogen, toxins and other impurities from the body. To cleanse and strengthen the liver, these are the things you should do
- Start the day with water therapy (drinking 500ml or 4 cups of water as soon as you are up from bed)
- Exercise to stimulate the lymphatic system and lung detoxification: Good examples are aerobic exercises such as jogging, skipping, swimming, walking etc.
- Avoid Alcohol, Caffeine and Drugs that may interfere with the liver detoxification mechanism.
- Herbal cleansing to clear the gastro intestinal tract and fortify the liver: One of the best herbs to fortify the liver is silymarin a special extract of milk thistle. Others include: dandelion leaf and root, turmeric, artichoke.
In places where silymarin is not readily available, here are some brilliant herbal preparations that fortifies and detoxifies the liver. Pick only one of the combinationsCOMBO 1 Ingredients a) Powdered ginger b) Powdered bitter kola (just grind the bitter kola into small particles) c) A jar of honey Preparation Mix equal quantity of A and B together, put 1 teaspoonful of the mixture into a glass of hot water and allow to infuse for 5mins, then add 2 tablespoons of C. Take a glass everyday. It is important you don’t exceed the dosage. COMBO 2 Ingredients a) 1 bottle of lime juice (50 cl) b) 20 pieces of bitter kola (just grind the bitter kola into small particles) c) A jar of honey Preparation Mix A and B together, and add C to taste. Take a 4 desert spoons 3 times daily. COMBO 3 Ingredients a) Bitter leaf (10 leaves) b) water (1 litre) Preparation Make a juice of A and B using a blender OR Squeeze A in B so as to extract the juice. Take a 3 times daily.
Step 2: Load up on Proteolytic Enzymes and Antioxidants
Antioxidants are substances that helps to remove oxidizing agents capable of causing damage in our body. They are key in fighting fibroids. Load yourself up with daily dose. Very good examples are: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium. They are available in fruits like oranges, water melon, pumpkin etc. Proteolytic Enzymes are part of the systemic enzymes.
They are capable of breaking down long chains of protein. These enzymes may be very helpful to shrink fibroid or reduce its size, heal and prevent scar tissue damage that occurs as a result of uterine fibroids. Examples are Bromelain, trypsin, papain, rutin, pancreatin etc.
A very good source of bromelain is pineapple, and a good food source of papain is green papaya ( green pawpaw).
In Order to get the best out of these proteolytic enzymes, TAKE PINEAPPLE OR PAWPAW AS BREAKFAST AFTER THE WATER THERAPY.
Step 3: Change Your Diet
If there is anything that will effectively stop the growth of fibroid, naturally shrink fibroid and prevent the regrowth of fibroid tumor,then it is maintaining healthy diet. According to Dr Alejandro Junger, the problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products. The body has the capability to resolve virtually all health issues if it is given the right resources.
Majority of these resources are acquired from plants. Plants contain over 5000 known sterols that have progestogenic effects. Studies have shown that estrogen levels fell in women who switched from a typical high fat, refined carbohydrate to a low fat, high-fiber, plant based foods.
In order to achieve a fibroid free life, lower cancer risks, and reduce oxidative stress, health agencies recommend that we eat several servings per week of cruciferous vegetables. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, bok choi, and Brussels sprouts are common examples. (For Nigerians, Cruciferous vegetables are available at Salad store, vegetable stores and various grocery stores/supermarkets).
Furthermore, elevated estrogen levels can be neutralized by a reduction of estrogen exposure through a proper wholesome fresh whole food diet. That means processed foods and refined sugar should be avoided as much as possible. Carbonated drinks, alcohol, caffeine and the use of drugs should be avoided.
Conclusively, I recommend that you eat at least 30 grams of fiber rich foods (fruits and vegetables) on daily basis. This will also help to maintain an healthy body weight because fat cells increase estrogen production
Step 4: Balance your hormones
This is another very important step in shrinking fibroid growth naturally. Restoring the balance between estrogen and progesterone is very essential. Here are two ways to achieve that.
A herb that is good for balancing hormone levels in the body is chasteberry, also known as vitex. It can stimulate the progesterone production and reduce levels of estrogen, as well as amounts of prolactin, which is another hormone that can lead to low progesterone in the body.
Vitex also helps to nourish the pituitary gland. From experience, vitex alone will increase fertility and the chances of getting pregnant.
Natural progesterone cream:
What most doctors don’t know is that the application of natural progesterone cream is highly effective in shrinking a fibroid. The key is to apply natural, and not synthetic, progesterone.
Step 5: Increase Pelvic and General Circulation
You can increase pelvic and general circulation by
Self Fertility Massage:
This helps to promote healthy circulation, helps the body to rid itself of old stagnant blood and tissues in the uterus or surrounding organs. Self fertility massage is the act of rubbing your stomach gently so as to stimulate circulation. There are several simple techniques you can learn.
Here is one… Use your fingertips and massage in small circular motions. Move from the sides of your abdomen inward and downward. Go progressively deeper with your fingertips but always keep it comfortable. (You can massage with natural progesterone cream)
Castor Oil packs:
This is an old therapy that helps to cleanse the body wherever they are placed. Castor oil has the potential to clear excess toxins and tissues. This is how to make and use castor oil packs
Step 6: Avoid Stress and Deal with Emotional Problems
This is the last step of the natural remedies for fibroid. Stress alone can considerably reduce progesterone levels in the body. During chronic stress, the adrenal glands will be tired causing increased need for cortisol. In this case, our body converts progesterone into cortisol.
This will also reduce the level of progesterone in the body. Futhermore, Some researchers has linked fibroids with emotions.
They claim that emotional issues such as anxiety, fear of not getting pregnant, fear of divorce, family problem, job issues etc… if not settled, they get in the uterus (woman’s center of creativity).
If emotional issues can get the fibroids there, then resolving emotional issues may be able to help them go away.
Uterine fibroid is a warning sign from our body informing us of a hormonal imbalance. It can easily be treated by adjusting our lifestyles, nutritional supplements, herbs like vitex (chasteberry) and natural progesterone cream. Surgeries are usually not necessary because the fibroids tend to grow again if adequate procedures as discussed above are not put in place.
The underlying cause in most cases is estrogen dominance, which can also lead to a various kind of other hormone related problems such as breast and cervical cancer if not properly controlled.
Maintaining a normal estrogen level is key to hormonal health for all adult women.
I also suggest you to get this informative E-book:
I’ve done my part by giving you the necessary information that you may NOT get from most fibroid shrinking kit… The ball is now in your court.
Take good care of your body! You’ve got no other place to live in