Headache does no one any good and natural headache remedies are undoubtedly the best way to handle things. Headache has this destabilizing effect that makes one lose interest in every other thing. Truth is headache can kill. The earlier you get rid of it the better. Never let the headache linger for too long lest you end up with unwanted outcomes.
Several methods of treating headache had been developed by medical science over the years. While many of these methods work, several others have failed to work. Many of the drugs given by the doctor for curing headache are poisons and they end up giving you unwanted side effects. In fact, medical science agrees that all synthetic drugs are poisons. This is why it is better to avoid synthetic products as much as possible.
Instead of stuffing your system with “poisons” in the name of headache drugs, why not go the natural way to get rid of your headache? This write up will open your eyes to some natural remedies you can rely on to relieve your headache right at home.
Gluten-free diet for Natural headache remedies
Guten-rich foods can lead to headache. If you are feeling persistent headache, it is high time you made a review of your diet. Have you been consuming foods rich in gluten? It is most probable that the gluten is responsible for your headache. It is high time you removed gluten from your diet to relive yourself of this headache. Examples of gluten-rich foods you must avoid are listed below:
- Graham flour
- Cracked wheat
- Wheat germ
- Bran Wheat
- Wheat starch.
You need to understand that not all individuals end up with headache when they consume gluten-rich foods. Only those who are gluten-sensitive end up with gluten-related headaches.
Peppermint & lavender essential oil
Peppermint has an unequalled numbing and calming effect and can be used in relieving headache. Lavender oil too has exactly the same effect as peppermint. Peppermint oil has cooling effect on the skin. It helps to increase blood flow to the skin and this has soothing effect on the muscles and reduces their contractions. How can you apply it?
- Pour some peppermint oil or lavender oil into a container
- Dip a clean piece of cloth or small towel in it
- Gently squeeze out the excess oil from the towel
- Place the towel soaked in oil on your forehead
- Use the towel to massage the forehead gently
- Maintain a short circular motion on your forehead
- Afterwards, change to a side-to-side movement on your head.
- Continue with the massaging for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rub some of the oil on your neck and back of your neck.
Lavender oil too can be used in the same manner. Lavender has sedative effect on you and is a well-known mood stabilizer. It is one of the best natural headache remedies; it works perfectly for migraine. Another way to use lavender oil is described below:
- Pour some lavender oil inside a container
- Make a medium-sized cotton wool ball
- Dip the cotton wool ball inside the lavender oil
- Place the soaked cotton ball close to your nose and inhale it.
- Continue to inhale the lavender oil for up to 15 minutes.
- Its sedative and reliving effects will not be mistaken.
- Repeat after every 15 minutes for 2 hours for better effect.
In the event either of the two essential oils smells too strong for you, you can add coconut oil or grape seed to the oil, mix together and apply it as described above.
Chiropractic care and posture
Chiropractic is yet another method you can use to stop your headache. This natural headache remedy is gaining attention by the day. It is not only useful for headache; it is also very useful for various other purposes. Chiropractic care is surgery-free and drug-free and this makes it welcoming remedy for headache. What chiropractic care does is to lower oxidative stress in your body; it therefore works as an antioxidant. Oxidative stress has damaging effect on DNA, lipids and protein, which are components of the cells in your body. Breaking down of the cells in the brain or other tissues around the head can lead to headache. Chiropractic care can however reduce the oxidative stress and relieve your headache.
Chiropractic care involves manipulation of the backbone and such manipulation can cure your headache. What makes chiropractic care to stand out?
- Research shows that chiropractic care relieves headache in up to 90% of cases; you will agree that is a real impressive outcome.
- 49% of patients with intense headache testified that chiropractic care gives immediate relieve.
- Chiropractic care is among the best for stress alleviation in the human body system.
It has also been proved to reduce migraine and tension headaches.
Herbs to the rescue
Herbs are natural products that can be used in relieving headaches. These natural headache remedies are among the very first sets of treatments implemented for headaches and they are as old as human existence. Very popular herbs used for reliving headaches are:
- Butterbur and
Other herbs you can use for this purpose are highlighted below:
- White willow bark
- Black cohosh
- Gingko biloba
The leaves of the herbs are grinded and presented in form of tea. You can relieve your headache by drinking some of the tea.
- Warm some water for the tea.
- Once it warms up considerably, add the tea into it.
- Leave the tea in the water for some 15 minutes.
- Pour some tea inside a cup and allow to cool a bit
- Drink the tea a sip at a time.
- Watch out for the unmistaken relief of your headache.
Water forever helpful
It is true that water does not have any taste, but it has highly impressive effect on human health. You can transform your life by drinking adequate water on daily basis; at least 8 cups of water on daily basis will do magic in your body. Drinking adequate water can help relieve headache also.
You can get dehydrated by drinking alcohol, sugary drinks and coffee and this dehydration can lead to headache. All you need to do in order to relieve such water-deprived headache is to drink lot of water. Water, aside relieving headache, will also energize you and make you feel full. If you do not fancy drinking too much water due to its tasteless state, you can opt for lots of vegetables and fruits; these vegetable and fruits are filled with water and they can supply good portion of your water need. Some of them have 90% of water as their main content. Some very good fruits and vegetables you can add to your diet for adequate hydration are highlighted below:
- Green peppers
One of the natural headache remedies is detox bath. Do not forget that being under too much emotional or psychological tension can lead to headache and one of the best ways to relieve this form of headache is via detox bath. Excess accumulation of toxin in the body can damage body cells and lead to headache, especially when cells in the head region are affected. You can get rid of these toxins via detox bath and this will help relive the earache that comes as a result. When preparing the detox bath, make the water as hot as possible. This will help bring all those accumulated toxins in your body to the surface once you lie in the water. How can you get the best out of your toxin bath? Follow the hints below:
- Add to the hot water a cup of baking soda. This helps to kill bacteria in the water and on your skin, making your skin smooth and clean. It also reduces irritability.
- Add essential oil to the bath water. It will have calming effect on your and help relive the headache faster. It has cooling and soothing effects you do not want to miss. The essential oil can relive all those tensions in your body too.
- Add to the bath water 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. This will help reduce excess uric acid in your body and quickens relieve of the headache.
Examples of essential oils you can use are listed below:
- Sandalwood oil
Stretching and moving
Simple stretching and moving can also help in relieving your headache. You can get headache by sitting at your computer or desk for too long. Some of the best natural headache remedies in this situation are simple stretching and moving. These simple motions can help relive accumulated tension, which led to the headache. If you are the type that hunches over or several hours in a day while staring at your Smartphone, you can acquire headache this way. Simple stretching and moving can help relieve such headache.
Some stretching motions that can help relive headaches are highlighted below:
- Chin tuck stretch
- Cervical extensor stretch
- Lateral flexion stretch
- Cervical rotation
- Shoulder rolls.
Yoga is yet another very helpful remedy for headache. With yoga, you can improve on your muscle strength, improve, vitality and respiration. Yoga also improves on your circulatory system. Very helpful yoga poses that can relieve headaches are:
- Child’s pose
- Downward facing dog pose.
Cayenne muscle rub
Your body’s circulatory system can be easily stimulated by cayenne pepper. It also helps reduce acidity in the body. Such acidity reduction can relive your headache. Substance P is one of the elements that cause headache. The capsaicin in cayenne pepper can help reduce substance P and also counters its activity, making your headache to go away. Reduction in substance P can reduce the process of transmitting pain to the head and the brain, leading to reduction in headache.
Ginger and turmeric
They have anti-inflammatory effect and they function as antioxidants. They have been used on several occasions for relieving headaches. Aside headache, it can also be used in treating stomach pain, lower back pain and chest pain. Curcumin is one of the active components of turmeric and it is one of the most potent antioxidants known to man. It helps relive migraine and it also works fast.
This is yet another remedy for your headache. It can be rubbed on the skin and the head to relive headache. Once rubbed, it sinks into the skin and the muscle to cause relaxation, leading to relieve of your headache.
Different types of rubs are being made today and they are on sale in many stores around. Instead of wasting your hard earned money on these packaged and processed rubs, why not make yours from home? The one made from home is more reliable, since no chemical or preservative has been added.
Check below for an effective homemade muscle rub for your headache.
- Glass jar
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder opr ginger
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne powder
- A quarter cup of grated beeswax
- Half cup of coconut oil.
Direction of preparation
- Pour some essential oil in the glass jar.
- Place a saucepan on medium low heat and pour about 2 inches of water in it.
- Place the jar containing the essential oil on the saucepan.
- Allow the essential oil to melt.
- After a while, stir the oil and add the turmeric powder or ginger and cayenne into the jar.
- Mix them together to combine.
- Leave to cool a little and add essential oil
- Mix them again until they are properly mixed.
- Pour the mixture in a storage container or metal tin and allow it to set.