Some foods are very easy to digest and they are the best to live on. By consuming easy to digest foods, your digestive system will be able to relax fast after each meal and this will further enhance its digestive function. It is in your best interest to keep your digestive system always functional to ensure your consistent health and well being. An easily digested food will release its nutrients into the body system and the body will be able to absorb all the nutrients for improved body functioning. Below, you are going to learn about a number of foods that can be easily digested.
List of Easy to digest foods
Yoghurt is undoubtedly a dairy product. There is this general understanding that dairy products can lead to stomach upset if the person taking it is lactose sensitive. Those who are not lactose sensitive can however take yoghurt without any associated stomach upset. Yoghurt is easily tolerated and it has several benefits in not that will make your digestive system function better. The two types of yoghurts available on sale these days are:
- The Greek yoghurt and
- The regular yoghurt.
The first type has been strained so as to remove the whey in it. The consistency is also thicker and the flavor stands it out. Some of the nutrients in yoghurts are:
- Calcium and
You will be able to get far more nutrients in the Greek type of yoghurt than the regular type. When buying your yoghurt, make sure you go for the plain yoghurt that does not contain any added fruit. Added fruits in yoghurt mean the yoghurt is rich in artificial sweetener and more sugar. Truth is individuals have different digestive response to yoghurt. Some people are able to digest the full fat yoghurt faster, while some other people are able to tolerate the low-fat type. There are some other individuals who find it easier to digest the non-fat type.
This is the name for fermented cabbage. It is very easy to digest too. Aside it ease of digestion, it can equally improve ability of the body to digest other food types. It can therefore be taken after each meal and it will help you to digest that particular meal faster.
Sauerkraut is rich in lactic acid and therefore contains some helpful lactic acid bacteria growing in it. These bacteria are very helpful when it comes to food digestion. With sauerkraut, you can never get it wrong.
The food comes in various types. Make sure you buy the fermented type when making your purchase as this is all that really makes the food work the magic of quickened digestion. They are all rich in cabbage and they are delicious.
You can make your own sauerkraut at home. The home made type will end up being more nutritious and effective in digestion than the ones you buy in stores.
Important tips to consider when making sauerkraut at home
- You do not need to buy expensive stoneware crock to make sauerkraut; you can just use any large glass jar or unchipped enamel pot for the purpose and it will work perfectly. Gallon too will just be ok.
- In the event you have a crock at home and you want to use it in making sauerkraut, first check if the interior does not contain white film. The white film tends to appear when the crock dries, but disappears when it is wet. Crock containing such white film must have been used in the past for waterglassing eggs; this white film has the capability to ruin your sauerkraut.
- Do not put any metal object or your hand inside the crock while preparing the sauerkraut. Instead, make use of mashers and spoons. You can also use crockery or glass for weighing and dipping.
- When buying ingredients for sauerkraut, go only for the freshest and best ingredients, since these can make the best sauerkraut.
How to make sauerkraut
- Core and shred cabbage of 5 pounds and pour in 1 gallon container.
- Add 3 tablespoons of pickling salt to it; you can use either dairy or kosher salt.
- Spread salt on a number of layers of cabbage and tap each of the layers with potatoes masher or wooden spoon; make sure the topmost layer is salt.
- Boil an old dish towel of up to 5 minutes and use it to cover the crock.
- Use a flat plate to weigh this down. The flat plate should be the size of the interior of the crock.
- Leave it for one or two day.
- After 2 days, white scum would have formed on the top. Skim off the white scum and use a newly boiled cloth to replace the old one.
- Leave it for another day and scoop off the sum each day.
- Continue this process until the bubbles do not rise anymore. This will take about 2 weeks.
- You can store the prepared and fermented sauerkraut at 40 to 50oF under brine. You can also heat it until it simmers, then pack it inside a caning jar.
Most Korean cuisines serve this staple meal. It is considered in Korean culture as a very healthy food. It is spicy and delicious and it is also one of the best easy to digest foods. It can improve on digestion when it is fermented. The fermentation process can however take months if it is prepared traditionally. It can be equally fermented by placing it in special refrigerators at the right temperature. It can incorporated into your daily meal, like your pancakes, chowders and soups. It can also be served as a main meal.
When buying kimchi, make sure you only go for the authentic ones and you can find them at many of the Asian food marts around. It is very affordable and available in different forms.
How to prepare your kimchi
Fermentation takes about 48 hours. And you only need 35 minutes to prepare it for fermentation.
- 6-cup mason jar with lid
- Cutting board
- Food prep gloves
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Half nori sheet torn into pieces
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons of coarse Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 bundle of trimmed scallion cut into 1-inch section
- 2 daikon trimmed radishes cut into matchsticks
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon plus a quarter cup of sea or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon plus 6 to 8 cups of distilled or filtered water.
- 5 pounds of steamed napa cabbage cut lengthwise.
- The size of your mixing bowl will determine the amount of water you use; the bigger the bowl, the more the water.
- You can buy your Korean red pepper flakes online or in Asian markets
- You can add savory dimension to the kimchi by adding fish sauce.
Direction of preparation
- Rinse the cabbage properly
- Cut it into small stripes and pour into mixing bowl.
- Add a quarter cup of salt to it and massage covering your hand with gloves.
- Pour water into the bowl to cover the cabbage. Leave it under water for about 10 minutes.
- You can weigh the cabbage by placing plate on it.
- Set it aside for up to 3 hours or you can leave it overnight. Fold it once or twice within this period.
- Pour the cabbage into a strainer and use cool running water to rinse it.
- Leave it to drain for about 20 minutes. Dry the mixing bowl and leave it for reuse.
- Add sugar, nori, pepper flakes and sugar inside a small mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the distilled or filtered water and mix them together to form paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 2 cups of water to it. Stir them together and place aside.
- In the meantime, rinse garlic, scallions, ginger and daikon.
- Add ingredients to the cabbage inside a mixing bowl. Add the earlier prepared paste and fold till the cabbage is coated evenly with paste; this should take about 2 minutes.
- Pack the kimchi inside a mason jar.
- Add adequate brine to cover the ingredients. Seal the jar and place it on a shelf and away from direct sunlight. Leave it for 24 hours.
- Open the jar after 24 hours to release the gas. It should look sticky by this time.
- Afterwards, seal the jar again and store it in the fridge for up to a month.
- Add veggie burgers or soup and enjoy.
Lean proteins are well tolerated and can be digested fast. Chicken breast contains lean protein. You will be able to digest it fast if you eat it reasonably.
In place of chicken breast, you can also use lean turkey, lean beef or lean pork. Chicken breast provides proteins, vitamins and minerals, meaning it will provide you with wholesome food that will not give you stomach upset. Make sure you cook them properly before eating. Chicken breast does not contain fiber at all. Make sure therefore that you consume food rich in fiber along with your chicken breast to further improve on digestion.
How to prepare chicken breast for improved digestion
- You can grill, boil or bake it
- Do not fry it, as this will not aid easy digestion. Frying will add more oil to the preparation process, which will hamper digestion.
This is undoubtedly one of the best easy to digest foods around. It supplies the body with adequate carbohydrate and fiber. It is easy to obtain and this makes it one of the best you can lay your hands on when searching for foods that are easy to digest. Brown rice is easier to digest than white rice. White rice too may be easy to digests, but it can also cause diarrhea, gas production and constipation, which makes it a less important choice compared with brown rice.
If you cannot lay your hands on brown rice, you can always go for pasta or grain breads; they are related to brown rice and are easier to digest than white rice.
- Pour water inside a pot with lid and add the braw brown rice to it. 5 cups of water will be perfect for 1 cup of rice.
- Place the pot on the maximum heat but do not cover it.
- Bring it to boil leaving the pot uncovered.
- When it boils, place the lid on the pot. Lower then heat to Simmer or Low.
- Close the steam valve on the pot if you r pot has such. Leave the rice to simmer for up to 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow the rice to remain on the cooker for yet another 10 minutes; 20 to 30 minutes is better if you are not in haste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Salmon is very easy to digest. It is rich in omega-3. It is less oil and it is very light. Its cholesterol and fat levels are very low and this makes it one of the best easy to digest foods worthy of mentioning. It is better to bake the salmon if you want it to digest faster. You can make the food wholesome by adding steamed veggies and sweet potato to the mix; this will turn the meal to a well-balanced, easy-to-digest sweet-tasting dish.
Banana existence is as old as human history. This is one of the best natural foods you can ever come by and it is one of the most popular easy to digest foods around. Digestion is improved with a number of fruits too, but berries are not the best for digestion. Banana contains high concentration of potassium and it is rich in fiber. Banana can supply up to 17% of the total vitamin C you need per day. It can also provide 12% of your potassium need.
Just peel the banana and eat it raw to get the best out of it. The banana will be very difficult to digest if you add it to other foods or you cook it.