Pattern and rate of growth of your nails can add a great deal to your appearance. It can make you look classy and beautiful. State of your health can be equally reflected by how healthy your nails grow. This is one of the reasons you should be concerned about your nail growth.
Nails are rich in keratin, the same protein present in the hair. The nails in your fingers tend to grows faster than those on your toes. Normal growth rate of the toe should be about 1/10th of an inch every month. If your nail grows slower than this rate, then you have got to do something about it to make the nail grow normally again.
A host of factors may contribute to how fast or how slow your nails grow; some of these factors include nutritional deficiencies, medications, chemotherapy, health challenges and body hormonal changes. Age is yet another important factor contributing to rate of growth of the nail; nails grow faster in pregnant women and pre-pubertal individuals.
This write-up will show you simple things you can do to improve on nail growth of as to prevent various nail problems, like nail splitting, breakage or brittle nails.
This is one of the most popular nutrients required for improved nail growth. Biotin is a very common vitamin and very helpful for nail growth. It is equally referred to as vitamin H.
How does it work? Biotin improves the keratin content of the nail as well as that of the hair, leading to improved growth rate of the nails. Biotin deficiency usually results into brittle, thin and weak nails. Best solution to these problems is to take foods rich in biotin
Foods rich in biotin
Such foods are highlighted below:
- Whole grains
The foods highlighted above are very common and easy to come by. However, you need to consume them consistently in order to get the desired result. You can equally go for biotin supplements if you find it difficult to stay consistent with these foods.
It may sound strange, but horsetail contributes to improved growth of the nail. This fact had been tried out, with good results, by Roman and Greek herbalists.
How is this possible? Horsetail is very rich in several useful minerals, like silica and calcium, which makes it the perfect addition to nail-nutrients.
Calcium and silica improve consistency and strength of the nail and are also required, along with keratin, for improved nail growth. Calcium acts as the enzyme or biomolecule required by keratin for its metabolic activities.
What you need
- Dried horsetail
- Clean metal container
Direction of preparation
- Place 2 cups of water in the metal container and place on medium heat
- Leave the water to boil
- Once it boils, add about ¾ teaspoon of the dried horsetail into the boiling water.
- Cover the pot and allow it to mix together in boiling. The horsetail steeps into the boiling water during this period.
- Leave it to steep for about 15 minutes.
- Afterwards, sieve the water and allow it to cool.
- Place your nails inside the solution for about 20 minutes.
- Try to repeat this process up to 4 times every week
- You can equally drink some of the horsetail solution once every day and you will see the desired improvement in your nail growth.
Lemon is one of the most useful natural products known to man. It is rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin C is important to the metabolic process of keratin, the protein responsible for the growth of the nail.
Aside improving the growth of your nail, lemon equally treats yellow nails and can help give your nails that highly desired shine like none other.
What you need
- 1 table spoon of lemon juice
- Lemon fruit
- 3 table spoons of olive oil
How to use
- Prepare a clean container. Add the olive oil and the lemon juice inside.
- Prepare the microwave and place the container having the lemon juice and olive oil in it inside the microwave.
- Allow the mixture to heat up slightly.
- Bring it out and soak your finger inside the heated nail soak.
- Leave your hands soaked in it for up to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this every day and you will notice improvement in your nail growth and also notice removal of the yellowish coloration on your nail.
- Alternatively, pick a lemon fruit and slice it
- Pick one of the slices and use it to rub your nails
- Continue rubbing it for up to 5 minutes.
- Rinse off your finger in warm water afterwards.
- Gently apply moisturizer to the nails
- Repeat the process once every day.
The lemon juice may sting you slightly if you have hangnails or any cut on your fingers.
One other remedy for impaired nail development is orange juice. It has been proven to be able to boost the rate at which your nail grows. This is made possible by the vitamin C content of orange.
Vitamin C increases the rate of production of collagen and this is required for keeping the nail healthy and strong.
Aside vitamin C, orange is also rich in folic acid, which is very important for nail growth.
- Orange fruit/Orange juice
- Paper towel
- Wash the orange carefully and peel it.
- Squeeze out the fruit in it into a clean container
- Soak your nails inside the orange juice
- Keep your nails soaked for up to 10 minutes
- Afterwards, dip your hands in warm water to rinse off the orange juice.
- Gently dry the hand using paper towel
- Apply moisturizer to the hand and fingers
- Continue repeating this process every day and you will soon get the desired result.
You can equally opt for already prepared orange juice instead of preparing your own. However, those orange juices being sold at stores may contain preservatives, which can hamper the nail development effect of the orange juice.
Your nails can grow better and faster with the application of coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in various nutrients that contribute to healthy growth of the nail. It can make the nail strong and moisturized.
Coconut oil can equally strengthen the cuticles, which are very important to the rate of growth of the nails. There is no better way to cure unwanted hangnails, fungal nails and cuticle infections than by the application of coconut oil.
What you need
- Extra-virgin coconut oil/organic coconut oil
- A quarter cup of Honey
- 4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Pour some extra-virgin coconut oil in a container and place the container inside a microwave.
- Allow it to warm up for few minutes
- Afterwards, use the warm coconut oil to massage your hands and nails
- Carry out the massaging using a circular motion and this will help improve on blood circulation to the nails, which will promote growth
- This is best done every night before you sleep. Make sure it is repeated everyday for better and faster result.
- Alternatively, you can use coconut oil to prepare nail soak.
- In a clean container, add the rosemary essential oil, honey and organic coconut oil.
- Mix them together properly till they become homogenous.
- Prepare the microwave and place the solution inside it.
- Leave it in the microwave for up to 20 seconds.
- Bring out the solution afterwards and dip your nails inside the warm solution.
- Leave your nails soaked in it for up to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this once or twice in a week for faster result.
Olive oil is a perfect moisturizer. It can help to moisturize the nails. Moisturized nails grow faster and healthier. Olive oil is able to penetrate deeply into the nails and skin and can therefore nourish the nails easily.
Olive oil equally contains Vitamin E, which helps promote growth and strength of the nail and also prevent nail damage. Vitamin E equally increase blood circulation
Things you need
- Olive oil
- Cotton gloves
Direction of preparation
- Pour some olive oil in a clean container
- Place inside the microwave and allow to warm
- Afterwards, apply the warm olive oil on your cuticles and nails.
- Gently massage the cuticle and nails for up to 5 minutes
- Afterwards, wear cotton gloves overnight to protect the nails and cuticles just massaged.
- You can repeat this on daily basis for improved nail growth.
- This is better carried out before you go to bed each day.
- Alternatively, dip your nail inside the warm olive oil and leave the nail soaked this way for maximum of 30 minutes.
- You can repeat this everyday and this will help promote nail growth.
Flaxseed oil is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It is equally rich in protein, zinc, lecithin, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B and other forms of micro nutrients, which are very important for healthy development of the nail.
Flaxseed oil is equally useful for treating nail brittleness, nail drying, nail splitting and nail cracking.
What you require
- Flaxseed oil
- Cotton gloves
- Add few drops of flaxseed oil on one palm and use it to rub the nails on both hands.
- Massage the fingers and the nails gently for some minutes.
- Wear cotton gloves on the hands to prevent evaporation of the flaxseed and maintain its moisturized state.
- You can repeat this once or twice on daily basis for faster result.
This product had been used for ages for improving rate of growth of nails. Stinging nettle is very rich in a number of substances, including silica; these substances contribute a great deal to the rate at which the nail grows.
Stinging nettle can equally prevent brittle and weak nails by increasing the strength of the nail.
Things you require
- 3 teaspoons of dried stinging nettle leaves
- 1 cup of Water
- Pour the water inside a clean container and place on medium heat
- Allow the water to boil and then add the dried stinting nettle leaves
- Afterwards, cover the hot water containing the stinging nettle leaves
- Allow the stinging nettle to steep in the hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and add some honey to it.
- You can drink 1 cup of the herbal tea once daily
Nail is rich in a protein called keratin. Nail growth can be further promoted by the addition of this protein to your diet. You will start noticing white spots on your nails if there is keratin deficiency. If left unresolved, this can lead to weakening of the nails.
Foods to add to your diet
The following foods are rich in protein and can help nourish your fingernails towards improving nail development.
- Lean poultry
Seeds that can increase protein content in your body are highlighted below. They are best alternatives for you if you are a vegetarian.
- Green vegetables
Other helpful protein-rich foods are protein powder in glass of milk or protein shakes. Protein supplements too can help a great deal. However, make sure you consult your doctor before you take any protein supplement.
Very important and helpful tips
- Multivitamins can help speed up rate of growth of your nails
- Daily exercising will increase blood circulation, which will improve rate of growth of your nails
- Exposing your fingers to early morning sunlight too can help a great deal, since it helps your body to create Vitamin D, which contributes to faster nail growth
- You must avoid any nail polish containing sulfonamide, toluene or formaldehyde.